Current research

Some members of the group are undertaking research, which may be published in Brimington and Tapton MiscellanyIn addition we are always interested in seeing old photographs of Brimington and Tapton.

Current research areas include the following:

  • Henry Bradley (1845-1923). Almost forgotten locally (though Henry Bradley School, Bradley Way and Bradley Close are named after him), Bradley lived in Brimington from 1846 to 1859, attending Chesterfield Grammar School. His father worked for the Brimington Moor Iron Works and a fire clay, refractory bricks and pipe business owned by a John Knowles. Bradley went on to become a joint editor of what later became the Oxford English Dictionary and later senior editor, in the dictionary's formative years. He was recognised as an expert on the English language and place-names. His extensive output included 40 articles to the Dictionary of National Biography. A biography of him, particularly focusing on his Brimington years, appears in Miscellany 10. 
  • The recent history of Wetton Funeral Services Ltd., Ringwood Road Brimington. Miscellany 8 included some reminiscences from the late proprietor Alan Wetton. We want to bring the story up-to-date, particularly since the business was sold outside of the Wetton family.
  • Brimington Cubs and Scouts. 
  • Public transport. Brimington and Tapton was well-served by both locally based operators such as Wettons, Doughty and 'Clocky Brown' along with Chesterfield Corporation and East Midland Motor Services. Can you remember what is was like to travel on Wetton's or Doughty's buses?
  • Local football teams.
  • The story of mains water in Brimington. Tied up with the construction of the Linacre Reservoirs, the coming of piped water to Brimington in the 1860s was fraught with supply difficulties.
  • The Brimington Electric Supply Company. This company purchased electricity from the Staveley Company and resold it to local residents.
  • Thomas Wallhead. Brimington's own hymn tune writer had his work published in the Methodist Hymnal (and others). Tunes included Brimington, Whittington, Sharon and Harvest Home.  He died in the 1920s, having lived on Brimington Common.
  • Brimington well-dressings. The village held well-dressings in the late 20th century, under the auspices of the guides and brownies. Although there is no historical precedence for this custom, work is underway to tell story its story. The custom was revived in 2018 with a well dressing screen erected at the summer market on the 'village green'.
  • Brimington Congregational Church. Little has been written about this church which opened in the 1890s, on Chapel Street. We hope to publish an article in our Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 11 (in 2019), by church member Beryl Sharman to address this.

If you have anything you think might be of interest please contact us.


R Wetton & Son funeral vehicles, Markham Colliery disaster 1937

R Wetton & Son funeral vehicles near the family home (Rose Cottage) and headquarters, Ringwood Road, Brimington, on the occasion of the Markham Colliery disaster funerals,1937. The business was first formed in the 19th century, continuing in family ownership until the latter part of the 20th century. Like some other businesses the later history is unclear. Research is underway to try and put this right. (Courtesy the late Alan Wetton)


Last updated 16 August 2018.










Brimington and Tapton Local History Group
Community Web Kit provided free by BT